June 11, 2011

Yanina Wickmayer….part 5

tennis

Spotted this picture of a tennis player when I did a google search looking for something to draw.
It passed a few checkpoints:
  1. Not a lot of Hair
  2. Body drawing (not a lot of clothes….LOL)
  3. Interesting
Personally I think sketch drawings lead themselves more toward the body, the face, the un-adorned.  Possibly because we I can’t bring in color.  If I can’t bring in color then it’s all about dimension and texture.



As you can see from the eraser marks.  I was able to bring the bill of the hat higher and even the top of the hat itself.  I played around some with the nose.

I added the other earring.  BUT I wasn’t inspired to draw that necklace today.  Possibly I’ll try it on another day, but since I couldn’t stand wearing such bulk when I played I drew her my way.  Hahaha!



I must say…..she was a very good model!!  She held her pose for the entire week that it took to get the drawing this far and she never once complained!

tennis24

Ok…this is where I need your help.  Should I continue outlining the sketch drawings with my Black XS Faber-Castell Pitt pen…..or not?  Sometimes it bugs me that the lighter portions when outlined make such a rigid line!  I’m talking about the top of the right shoulder.  May go buy a gray XS pen (if I can find one).  That may help.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It definitely pops more and I really love the drawing (wow!!) I wonder if you sort of built a line of definition around her using a dark pencil, or even began light shading the background just make her pop and define her place in space? I don't even know if that's somewhere you want to go with your drawing but in the last drawing class I took my teacher (whom i actually like d a lot) kept emphasizing that the way things sit and move in the space around them was almost as important as the objects themselves. That's stuck with me, although I don't know how to *do* that. I suppose that was Drawing 102, which I still haven't gone back for! Either way, I love it!

rhomany said...

What thickness is your pen? I use a similar pen (I'm a Uniball pin girl myself) and I find a 0.05mm gives a very thin, very fine line that's like drawing with a darker mechanical pencil and isn't quite so solid and harsh. I'm definitely a fan of outlining, but sometimes, like you say, it can be too much in some areas. Have you considered using varying width lines in different places around the drawing? Perhaps that would help to balance it out too.

Zom said...

I find that outlining brings all the edges forward which will flatten your figure. Her back shoulder goes away from the viewer before the outlining, as it should.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden