December 1, 2010

Facing Forward….Senior Sketch



I ran out of Patience……why?  Well, it has to do with the H.A.I.R !! 

7Senior

I think the next “Drawing” Book I purchase should be “Drawing Hair for Dummies”  or something like that!  I could not for the life of me, replicate the curly hair on the original picture!!  I think too linear!!!  Yep, straight lines et al!



I don’t know if others do this, but I have taken to the habit of outlining my sketches with my finest Micron Pen (.005).  I like the pop it gives and I think with time, it may help keep the graphite in place…don’t know if it will actually work, though.

12Senior

Because I learn by trial and error (yep, just like 99% of the rest of the human race). These are the fault points in this sketch:

  1. I seem to have trouble making the head tilt……I only seem to be able to draw a North-South head.
  2. The chin area should be a bit thicker.
  3. The nose is too long.
  4. The Hair…..well, that’s an OBVIOUS one!
  5. ________ fill in the blank!


Since this is for my Sketchbook Project, it’ll be gone in 6 weeks.  Good thing we have digital cameras, and I can keep my own copy of the sketch for sentimental reasons.  I only have room for one or two more drawings in the sketchbook.  Wow!!  I just may have this thing done before Christmas. 

Thanks for your comments and if ANYONE has any hair drawing suggestions or references, I’d love to hear them.

12 comments:

JP said...

Eden - you are way too hard on yourself. Maybe this is the artist in you? I think the sketch is fabulous - hair, chin, and all. Remember you are sketching a photograph, not taking a xerox copy.

Vicki Holdwick said...

You are, as we all are, your own worst critic.

I think this is a beautiful portrait; I don't expect sketches to be carbon copies of the original.

You rock!!

xoxo

Jeanne Nelson said...

WOWZA, in my humble opinion, your sketch rocks! Somewhere along my journey I've heard someone say that every piece of art should have at least one flaw, and that thought brings me comfort in creating; hope it can comfort you, also, as you have mucho talent.

Unknown said...

This is AMAZING, Eden!

aimee said...

you make me want to start drawing faces again! though i couldn't do it nearly as well as you do!

lori vliegen said...

she is gorgeous, eden......and you've done such a beautiful job drawing her!! personally, i wish my hair in real life looked as good as this.....

another stunning drawing!! xoxo, :))

Rebecca Anthony said...

You are so talented!! I've missed you, I'm finally back in blogland(O: New blog and all!

Janet said...

I think she looks fantastic! But I understand how you feel about hair....me, too, and that's why so many of my drawings are ones where the hair is zentangled, collaged, or otherwise disguised.

Sam said...

Wonderful, beautiful portrait! You're too harsh a critic. :-)

Anonymous said...

Girl! I don't know what you are talking about...personally I think that hair is one thing that can be rigidly overdone in some paintings and drawings...you don't need to be concerned with capturing each and every strand...just the suggestion of waves and flow is perfect!

I love it...but I do know what it's like my own work....so I understand where you are coming from! but let me tell you! .... you NEED NOT worry at all! I love your style!

ciao bella
creative carmelina

Serena Lewis said...

I think you have done a FANTASTIC job on this portrait, Eden! I'm no expert on hair as I haven't done many portraits at all but, like Carmelina said, avoid the trap of thinking each strand must be drawn.

I tend to draw/paint what I see...like, I don't think of it as hair as I'm drawing. I just draw the lines/curves, lights and darks as I see them in sections and, generally, the outcome is reasonably close. Working lights and darks as the eye sees and not as the analytical brain tells us how it should be makes a very big difference in achieving realistic shape and depth. I hope that makes sense.

Cheers,
Serena

Linda Hoye said...

Wow! You are one talented woman! Thank you for stopping by http://myownvelvetroom.blogspot.com/. I hope you will visit me at my new home at http://lindahoye.com/ as well!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden