August 15, 2010

Facing Forward in Flip-Flops

image

No….those aren’t my feet. No….that isn’t my picture. But isn’t that a cool picture? I spotted this picture on flickr the other day and knew right then what I was going to do for page 3 of my Sketchbook Project. Did just a contour drawing and I didn’t want to take it any further with shading and highlighting because:

#1- it would take a lot of time

#2- The drawing was screaming to be colored in, really!

image

I thought about what color flip-flops I’d buy today if I needed a new pair, then proceeded to create the pair I’d want to have. Using my favorite colors in timeless stripes, I knew I’d buy this pair in a heartbeat. I left the toe-nails white because I wanted the focus on the sandals. Originally I thought I’d do some sort of pattern on the sole of the flop, but it probably would’ve looked too busy, and the black seemed to work well.

image

Added a little black/white checkered block to the letters, cuz it was looking a little boring without it. I wanted the doodled flowers to look like patches sewn onto the pants. Eh….kinda worked.

image

Out of all the markers in my stash, I only used these ten. That was an accomplishment. LOL!

image

This was a fun drawing which could’ve been taken in so many directions. I like stuff like that! I may head back to flickr to see if I can spot some other shoes to put on my sketch-feet which I can color in for another page. Oh, No…..Maybe I do have a foot-fetish!!

9 comments:

Rebecca Anthony said...

lol, that's funny "shoe fetish"!! I LOVE this Eden. I have always been crazy for flip flops and these flip flops are SO awesome!! What a genius idea for your sketchbook. The photo image is perfect and you delivered it in your style so well! You could do all kinds of shoes...... too cool!!!

Dawn said...

I'm sorry, but I can't get over your explosion of creativity and color. Your drawing is AMAZING! I'm so jealous! I loveeee that you created flip flops that you wanted to buy...and I love all the details on the jeans AND the lettering!

Vicki Holdwick said...

What a great page for your sketchbook!

This is gorgeous - love all the color and can tell you had loads of fun making it.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

This is so great!!

Jeanne Nelson said...

This is total AwesomeNess!!! Love the flops, the jeans, all their detail, and the lettering is terrific. Stunning page, Eden!

rachel awes said...

where can i find a pair of these jeans?!
i love every inch of this!!
so fun to listen to how your inspiration occurred!
you are SOOO my facing forward flip flop friend,
dear eden! xox

lori vliegen said...

keep facing forward, dear rainbow girl!!! this is magnificent!!! your drawing is spot on, and i LOVE the way you did all of the doodle-details.....especially those hearts on the big toes......and you KNOW i'm doing backflips over your checkered letterforms!!!! LOVE THEM!!! xoxo, :))

Lotus said...

Excellent... ; )
Lotus

Serena Lewis said...

WOW....I love, LOVE, LOVE your drawing, Eden! What a fun, creative twist....nice job!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden