January 3, 2009

Quiet Responses........

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but harsh words stir up anger.
Proverbs 15:1
Have you ever tried to argue in a whisper? It is equally hard to argue with someone who insists on answering gently. On the other hand, a rising voice and harsh words almost always trigger an angry response. To turn away wrath and seek peace, choose gentle words.

Rush! Rush! Rush! Hurry, get there, do that! Don't forget! These are the types of statements that on occasion will cycle through my psyche. And with that comes a "hurried response" a louder than I planned response. Sometimes too quick a response. Not only have I not thought it out, it hasn't even occurred to me how the response would sound if I were the one listening. If only I could halt
a few seconds and take a deep breathe instead racing to answer....

As per my word for the year. I'm going to try to START responding more softly in all my engagements. Not just in a possible tiff here or there with my family. But in my responses to the support team on the phone, or some of my excited responses to the people I engage with on a day to day basis at work and the parents I see when attending school or sport functions. I know this may be 2nd nature for many of you, but it's not for me. It will be something I need to be mindful of! It will be another thing I will need to be mindful of!! Oh-evie!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden